Saturday, February 5, 2011

"...As Time, and Tattoos, Goes By..."

Hello, I'm Scott Edward Phelps...many of you know me as a writer, composer, lyricist, satirist, award winning radio personality and all around self promoter.

Today, though, I'd like to talk to you about something that deserves our every effort to eradicate.

Old fart fogeyism.

This insidious condition presents itself when something "now" tweaks the sensiblities of someone from "then", accompanied by sounds of "tsk, tsk" usually followed by some sardonic lament about how "it used to be"....

Today's example.

I came across this "headline news" on CNN.com

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/celebrity.news.gossip/02/04/miley.cyrus.tattoo.ppl/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Almost immediately, my pulse raced, my brow furrowed and I found myself hearing that inevitable "how it used to be" thing clanging in my head like the screech of a Snooki...

Followed by the rhetorical question "how would Walter Cronkite have delivered this dramatic development?"

And don't even get me started on what level of Def Con Brinkley's smirk would have gone to.

Old fart fogeyism.

Join me in putting an end to it once and for all.

After all, it was the great Bob Dylan who said it best...

"...and don't criticize what you can't understand / for the times they are a changin'...:

Then again, Bob Dylan is, like, what, two thousand years old now?

No comments: