Saturday, July 11, 2009

"The Logic Is Not Only Flimsy...It's Actually 'Wafffffer Theen' ..."

Every place I’ve ever lived has had a “…but, at least, there’s -------------“.

When I lived in New Orleans, it was “man, it’s always humid here and the mosquitoes are the size of cargo planes…but at least there’s shrimp po-boys…”.

In Delaware, it was “man, some people around here are so obtuse, that the area is nicknamed Lower, Slower Delaware, but at least there’s no sales tax and a cool beach within easy driving distance…”

I’ve been in Mississippi for a little over a year now.

Still looking for the “at least there’s…”

I mean, come on, they don’t even have a damn Dunkin Donuts, for crying out loud.

Which is ironic, considering that one claim to fame the state does have is that they are number one in the nation in adult obesity, child obesity and heart disease.

Good news for the pound challenged, though.


CNN) -- The little number on the tag on a pair of pants that indicates size can mean a lot to a person, and retailers know it.

That's why, in recent years, as the American population has become generally more overweight, brands from the luxury names to the mass retail chains have scaled down the size labels on their clothing.

"You may actually be a size 14 and, according to whatever particular store you're in, you come out a size 10," said Natalie Nixon, associate professor of fashion industry management at Philadelphia University. "It's definitely to make the consumer feel good."


As I was reading this little item, I was reminded of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry got busted for altering the size label on his 30-inch waist jeans to a 29 because he didn’t want to face the fact he had to wear 30’s.

All things being equal and relative, I would consider 30’s a victory over carbs that I’m not likely to achieve again in this lifetime.

And while I suppose I have to lend some voice to the argument that it’s unethical for clothing manufacturers to deceive us, I, frankly, like the simple ingenuity of solving the problem of getting too big for our pants by simply changing the number.

Don’t raise the bridge, Grandpa used to say, just lower the river.

I’m actually kind of pissed that I didn’t think of the idea years ago myself.

If I had, I imagine it would have come just about the time I bought my first digital read out bathroom scale and realized the advantage it gave me over the old fashioned number and needle type.

That you could step on the thing, watch the number start to climb and then…when it reached your ideal, as opposed to actual, weight…you just jumped off.

Now, thanks to the clothing makers, I no longer have to risk spraining an ankle getting to my desired weight.

I can just celebrate that I’m able to fit comfortably into 30-inch jeans.

Says so right here on the label.

No comments: