Sunday, March 2, 2008

Every Four Years.....Same Old Song....


It’s been bothering me for a while.

Admittedly, I’ve been pre-occupied with lost and broken things lately. But, even in my shell-shocked condition, it’s been bugging me a little.

What it is that’s wrong with this presidential campaign.

Or, more to the point, what’s missing.

After all, 2008 is a pretty extraordinary year as political years go. We have the first woman and the first black man to ever get this far in the process.

By the way, not to wander too far off the point, but I use the term “black” man on purpose. I’ve always had a problem with the whole “African-American” thing. And, no, I’m not a closet George Wallace fan, thank you, it’s more about not wanting to segregate people. I don’t call myself a Scotch-German-Irish American.

I’m an American.
And a Caucasian.
Thank you. Cards and letters to the usual address.

Now back to our election coverage.

So, with the first woman and the first black to get within oath swearing distance of 1600 Pennsylvania in the thick of it, you’d think that this particular campaign would be cracklin and poppin like those candles you get in the dollar store.

But, something has been missing.

And a story I read this morning lit up my lamp.
It reported as how none of the candidates have really been able to zero in on just the right campaign theme song.

Well, hell. No wonder the campaign lacks zip.

Come to think of it, I don’t think we’ve had a proper anthem since Bill and Al.
“Don’t Stop…..Thinkin About Tomorrow”.

Bill thanks you. Al thanks you.

And Fleetwood Mac most assuredly thanks you.

I don’t remember George W’s theme song. Do you?
I know about a half dozen songs I think would fit to a T eight years later.

But, I do my best to run a family blog here.

And four years ago, whatever, if any, tune John Kerry was piping out of the bus obviously didn’t serve him very well.

I don’t remember that one either.

Although, these days whenever I even see Kerry, The Beatles appear in my head with the opening bars of a rousing rendition of “I’m A Loser.”

I don’t even remember what Al’s theme song was in 2000.

Great gag gift idea, though. Send Al a video of Gary Lewis and The Playboys standing on a beach in Florida singing “Count Me In.”

Okay. Not funny, not to mention eight years too late.

Meanwhile, eight years later…

Hillary, taking a shot at measuring up to Bill, at least musically, came up with a novel approach and opened up the selection process to the masses by asking, online, for suggestions.

Apparently, the majority vote there was for Celine Dion’s “You and I”.

Nice tune. One problem.

Celine is Canadian.
Oops.

And John McCain locked right on to a couple of John Mellancamp songs.
Until John Mellancamp said, uh, excuse me, but knock it off.

Personally, I don’t see why the candidates are having a problem.
If you only go looking for pop songs from, say, 1970 on, you’ve got about sixty three katrillion to choose from.

Don’t any of the campaigns have anybody with song chops on board?

Well, once again, I’m here for you, guys.
Free of charge, as a public service, I offer up the following suggestions for songs that fit the respective campaigns like the glove should have fit OJ.


John McCain

Abba “The Winner Takes It All”
George Harrison “Got My Mind Set On You”
Bruce Hornsby “The Way It Is”
Huey Lewis “Stuck With You”
Travolta/Newton John “You’re The One That I Want’


Mike Huckabee

The Beatles “I Don’t Want To Spoil The Party”
Bonnie Raitt “I Can’t Make You Love Me’
Perry Como “It’s Impossible”
Donovan “Catch The Wind”
Bob Dylan “It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue”


Hillary Clinton

Bread “Lost Without Your Love”
James Brown “Please Please Please”
Jackson Browne “My Opening Farewell”
Mel Carter “Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me”
Paul Revere “Him Or Me-What’s It Gonna Be?”
Rosanne Cash “I Don’t Know Why You Don’t Want Me”
Four Seasons “Let’s Hang On”
Gary Lewis “Sure Gonna Miss Her”
Pet Shop Boys “What Have I Done To Deserve This?”


Barack Obama

The Carpenters “Top of The World”
The Cars “Shake It Up”
The Chambers Bros. “Time Has Come Today”
Donny Osmond “Go Away Little Girl”
Sam Cooke “Bring It On Home To Me”
Sheryl Crow “A Change Will Do You Good”
Fine Young Cannibals “She Drives Me Crazy”
Timbuk 3 “The Future’s So Bright”
Joe Walsh “Life’s Been Good”


Surely, there’s something there they can use.

Oh…and for us?

All I can tell you is that every time the subject of politics comes up all I can hear is the cool British Invasion sound of The Animals.
“We Gotta Get Out Of This Place”

No comments: