Tuesday, March 25, 2008

"Bada Bing...She's Done....Capice?..."


I’m not sure how the rest of you are going to take this.

But I suspect G is going to be delighted.

Because I imagine that she never imagined that I would ever get around to making this sound out loud (or, well, you know, the written equivalent of out loud).

Hillary needs to give it up.

And I’m pretty sorry about that.

Oh, not so much because I was or am or ever really could be a die hard Clinton supporter.
I think being a die-hard anybody supporter in this world is a mistake.

It’s like trusting that your rifle is always going to shoot dead straight.

You really need to allow for the wind, you know.

And in politics, the wind can blow candidates around quicker and more dynamically than corn stalks get shoved around on the Kansas plain.

So. “time for a change” should be retired as the standard cliché’ slogan of any given political campaign and, in it’s place, the more logical and realistic…

“…caveat emptor”.

And just for the record, I feel a little like Frankie Pentangali when Michael Corleone told him, in Godfather II, that Hyman Roth was okay because his, Michael’s dad Don Vito, had worked with him.
“Your father knew Hyman Roth”, Frankie replies, “…your father worked with Hyman Roth…but your father never trusted Hyman Roth.”

So let it be known far and wide…

I knew of Hillary Clinton, I worked to believe Hillary Clinton.
But I never trusted Hillary Clinton.

And I figured that, sooner or later, my dilemma over whether to get past that and still consider her seriously would work itself out as the result of something she said or did.

Sure enough.

Today, the media is drunk with glee that they not only have her embellishing her experiences, but they have video to prove that she embellishes.

She has been saying that she showed up in Bosnia in 1996 and braved sniper fire going from plane to building on her arrival.

The news footage very clearly shows her and Chelsea smilingly walking calm and cool, waving and saying hi as they disembark.

So video clearly shows that what she said happened didn’t happen.

Well, la de frickin dah.

I’m not flipping off my Hillary switch because her account conflicts with the footage.

I’m done with her because of her response today when asked about it (and asked and asked and asked)

“So, I made a mistake…I misspoke…I say lot of things every day, millions of words…it just proves that I’m human.”

No, Hillary, what it proves is that when confronted with undeniable evidence that you made something up, rather than show contrition and/or ask for forgiveness, you get pissed and write it off to human failing.

And it’s not even the “made a mistake, proves I’m human” part that tears it for me.

It’s that pesky “I say lots of things every day, millions of words.”

I’m really not a rabid anti Clinton-ite, but you don’t have to hate Billary to know how the critics are going to spin that one.

“I say lots of things, millions of words and it’s your problem to figure out how many of those millions of those words are sincere and how many are bullshit.”

Bill Richardson endorsed Obama this past weekend and said that one of the things that turned him in that direction was his disdain for what he called the Clinton “feeling of entitlement” to be president.

Does seem like he may have been on to something.

Because only somebody who thinks they are entitled would have the mindset that, because only a few of the millions of words they speak everyday are bullshit, the job is still rightly hers.

It’s one thing to feel like we can’t trust anybody in government.

Because most of the time, they show us after we elect them, that we can’t.
It’s another thing to know for sure going in that we can’t… and still pull the lever.

No comments: