Saturday, September 26, 2009

"Actually, You Really CAN'T Stop The Beat..."



Someone who knows me pretty well once called it my "hidden nature".

It, in this case, being defined as being able, even inclined from time to time, to push the pause button on the cynical, sardonic presentation that I've pretty well honed to a pencil point over the years and experience, and express, joy and even, yes, optimism.

Stop the presses.

In my defense, I would offer you that each of us has a demon or two to deal with. And we all deal with those demons in our own ways.

Some drink. Or do drugs. Or cheat on their partner. Or yell at people who drive in slo mo in the passing lane.

Or become politicians.

And some flip on a big "positive attitude" presentation with special effects that would make the people at Industrial Light and Magic envious.

Yeah, I know. That sounds a little cynical and sardonic, doesn't it?

Well, shit, we've all got our trademarks, don't we?

Mine is being counted on for the 3 S perspective.

Satirical, sardonic and sarcastic.

And it would actually be 4 S, but cynical starts with a C.

For whatever its worth, I don't revel in, or particularly cherish, this identity.

Truth be told, I treat it a lot like alcoholism.

I know I'll never be cured, but I do make the effort to keep from falling totally out of sight into the snake pit.

At this point, you're possibly wondering, and it's a fair point, why in the the name of all things satirical am I sharing this little "behind the scenes" psycho-documentary with you?

Primarily because it's not polite to sneak up on people.

You deserve fair warning, if at all possible, when something unexpected is about to happen.

Consider yourself warned.

I think every household in the world should own, and watch at least once per week, a copy of the musical version of the movie "Hairspray."

It is a movie without flaw. A presentation so overwhelmingly positive and life affirming, with such an undeniable sparkle and charm that even the most hardened hearts would find it hard not to experience a softening, if only for a moment.

And it succeeds not only as wholesome entertainment (and when was the last time you heard that expression without bracing yourself for a Stuart Little marathon?), but it succeeds as a brilliant piece of positive and life affirming social, political, even theological commentary coated in a flavoring so tasty that by the time you're finished, it's take a minute or two to realize that you've not only been entertained, but inspired, as well.

As part of my graduate work on my advanced degree in doubting Thomasism, I have, on more than one occasion, taken to intellectual task, those who encounter the hurts and heartaches of the world and robotically lip serve the belief that "the Lord moves in mysterious ways..." Probably because I always felt like that was just a glossy, pious version of "shit happens."

While watching this movie, though, I find it impossible to keep from smiling.

And I think I'm smiling for, at least, two reasons.

This movie is a perfect concoction of positivity and entertainment.

And, realizing what a hard sell I am, the Lord has decided to take a different tack with me.

Saying "I dare you not to feel optimism, cynic boy" through the work of a guy named Adam Shankman.

The director of the musical version of "Hairspray."

1 comment:

Sharon Palmer said...

You're not such a bad sort after all, Scott! *wink* Oh -- and Adam Shankman is a fabulous producer, director, and choreographer. He can't help but to specifically enjoy the art of the dance, and he directs it well!

Regarding "Hairspray," I can't help but to agree with you there. A slice of heaven in an aerosol can...

Nice blog! Kudos!!