Wednesday, August 7, 2013

"...Funny...I Always Kind of Figured That Armpit Guy Ended Up In Politics...."

Today, I figured out who Seth MacFarlane is.

Having done more than my fair share of ragging on "Family Guy" and "American Dad" and the other very ironically tagged "family entertainments" that the "MacFactory" has been cranking out to great commercial success for some time now, I still, every now and then, give one or the other a quick look see.

For a couple of reasons.

First, I do continue to endeavor, even at this AARP qualified, Social Security eligible phase of my life, to avoid being the fuddy duddy, old fart fogey that a lot of my generational peers seem to naturally become.

Second, despite my sardonicism, I never discount the possiblity that I will find something genuinely entertaining, witty or even redeeming about the brand of comedy that MacFarlane shovels out to his adoring legions of fans and/or followers.

Today was one of those every now and thens as I surfed my way to some movie or news program and came across an episode of "American Dad".

Here's what I experienced in the four or so minutes that I hung in there.

One character explained to another that a third party, female, was going to have a "Tom and Jerry procedure" which he described as "they shove a mouse up her woo-hoo and let it scurry around and then send a cat in after that to bring the mouse out...it get's a little messy..."

A young man in his underwear apologized for being late by confessing "I stopped for a burger after I choked it."

And then that same young man force kissed a young lady in the classroom they shared, grabbed her by the hand and dove, with her in tow, out the window, yelling something about being able to fly.

Only to land on the ground with a crash, impaling and killing the girl.

All of that in less than four minutes.

I moved on.

But not before it finally dawned on me who Seth MacFarlane is.

That kid in the back of my seventh grade class who was constantly yearning for attention, perpetually in search of approval and, more importantly, on an endless quest for the laughs that come from providing whatever audience is available with whatever quips, stunts and/or slapstickery might score him those laughs.

All he really had to offer in the way of comedic gifts were an armpit fart noise of considerable volume.

And an occasional booger flick meant to appeal to those who like their comedy more cutting edge.

He got laughs.

From thirteen year olds.

Some of the time.

A not inconsiderable acheivement considering his total and absolute lack of actual talent.

Eventually, we left junior high and went on with our lives.

Never really knowing what happened to that armpit farting booger flickerer.

Until today.

He created, produces and voices TV shows called "Family Guy" and "American Dad".

And gets laughs.

A not inconsiderable acheivement considering his total and absolute lack of actual talent.







No comments: