Thursday, July 18, 2013

"...It's My Right To Tell You That What You Done Ain't Right And You Shouldn't Be Allowed To Do It...That's What Freedom Is All About, Savvy?..."

Apparently, the "average American" has a thing for windmills.

Because, in the past few days, they've been doing an extraordinary amount of tilting at them.

One in particular.

Rolling Stone.




The first picture, in case you've been traveling inter-galactically this week, is the passion inflaming cover of the current issue.

The second picture is a Photoshop creation of someone whose inflamed passions have manifested themselves into a burst of slap back creativity.

I've already written on this matter, expressing my own opinion that putting the Boston bombing suspect on the cover was, at best, insensitive.

But after a day or two of reading the rambling, knee jerk comments made by hundreds of "average Americans", on news sites, entertainment sites and social media, I find myself bubbling up to banter mode once again.

Loath as I am to quote anyone from the Fox News Channel, I have to offer that the best perspective I've heard on this whole tempest in a periodical came today from a member of the group that appear each weekday and call themselves "The Five".

It was a pretty eloquent observation.

And not all that hard to comprehend.

"In this country, a country of free speech and the freedom of expression, this magazine has the right to put anything they want on the cover of their magazine. And if people don't like it................don't buy it."

I unhesitatingly agree with, and support, your decision to take a pass on purchasing a copy of Rolling Stone if that's your choice.

And I still personally hold that the decision to use this picture, given the circumstances, was, at best, a bonehead business move on the part of Jann Wenner and his staff and, at worst, an unnecessary face slap to those whose wounds are still, literally and figuratively, healing.

But I'm disappointed, as an American, that so many people have eagerly joined the line of lemmings running blindly off the cliff into the ravine of advocating censorship.

The very same people who, I imagine, were among those who, just recently, were waving their flags and Constitutions around like deflector shields when Congress made their every six month post senseless slaughter pitch to regulate the ownership of guns.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is in custody and does not frighten me.

Rolling Stone's obvious cheap effort to grab the limelight does not frighten me.

People who attempt, through protest, threat or action to decide for others which freedoms are worthy honoring and which are not....

...frighten the hell out of me.

Last time I checked, the Bill of Rights wasn't "pick and choose".

Don't take my word for it.

Ask any gun owner.

Just don't ask if you can borrow their copy of this month's Rolling Stone.













1 comment:

David Smock said...

For once Scott, I do agree with you! Extremely poor taste on behalf of Rolling Stone., at least from my perspective. Excellent Blog! Let mr know if you need any fill in air talent....ahem, radio bug is biting me again.