Sunday, March 6, 2011

"..This Just In...A Long Thought Lost Alternate Version of Peter, Paul and Mary's Classic 'That's What You Get For F----n' Me..."

Music, by its nature, is timeless.

So, too, is the generational lament about music's adverse impact on those traveling through their respective formative years.

For my generation, elder concern was most likely most famously demonstrated when Ed Sullivan demanded that The Rolling Stones, for their live appearance on his iconic Sunday night TV show, change the lyrics of their then hit, "Let's Spend The Night Together" to "Let's Spend Some Time Together."

Which, despite any particular satanic majesty's request, they did.

Mr. Sullivan died in 1974.

Probably just as well as, were he alive today, he would have dropped dead from the shock of just how far the envelope has been pushed since that 60's night he took a stand in what now seems a puritanical battle between night and time.

I was one of those formative years kids in those days.

Today, I am the grandfather of kids coming up fast on those particular years.

In fact, factoring in the rate at which the aforementioned envelope shoving tends to increase with each passing generation, these youngsters are pretty much already ear deep in the hoopla.

And while I have spent my entire professional life in the arts and likely have a much higher tolerance for boundary crossing than the average pop pop, I have to admit that more than just the occasional tsk tsk has the distinct sound of my voice these days.

This past week brought two new examples and four new tsks.

First, I came across this story about Lil Wayne and some young folks who take exception to his standard presentation.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/thatsreallyweek/134432/feb-28-mar-6-lil-waynes-negative-lyrics-prompt-complaint-song-from-little-girls/

Then, along came Enrique Iglesias.

Not a singer particularly known for ignoring the speed limit, in part, I would imagine, because he is the offspring of the Hispanic Johnny Mathis, Julio Iglesias, Enrique's latest hit is a predictable, but catchy, little dance number titled "Tonight, I'm Lovin' You".

Okay. No harm, no foul.

However, there are, as any hip young music follower duhhhs, two versions of the song.

The second is a little less subtle expressing the singer's lyrical intentions.

"Tonight, I'm F----n' You"...

And there's no beep, block or bashfulness when the infamous eff occurs.

At this point, the easy, and predictable, lament to be made is something along the lines of the standard old fart fogey doctrine that chastises the language primarily for chastising sake.

That's not my personal issue with it.

Here's the lyric.

Read through and substitute, in your mind's ear, where applicable.

I know you want me
I made it obvious that I want you too
So put it on me
Let's remove the space between me and you
Now rock your body
Damn I like the way that you move
So give it to me
Cause I already know what you wanna do

Here's the situation
Been to every nation
Nobody’s ever made me feel the way that you do
You know my motivation
Give in my reputation
Please excuse I don't mean to be rude

But tonight I'm loving you
Oh you know
That tonight I'm loving you
Oh you know
That tonight I'm loving you

You’re so damn pretty
If I had a type than baby it’d be you
I know your ready
If I never lied, than baby you’d be the truth

Here’s the situation
Been to every nation
Nobody’s ever made me feel the way that you do
You know my motivation
Given my reputation
Please excuse I don’t mean to be rude


Debate about the morality, or lack, of aside, the damage being done here isn't the deflowering of virgin ears.

Deflowering is a misdemeanor compared to the felony of degrading.

Romance? Can't be bothered.

Seduction? Not worth the time.

Appreciation and respect? Puleeze.

Let's have a dance and cut to the chase.

Tonight, I'm f---- you.

And were this just some cheesy offering from a Tourette's inclined loser, it could be written off as such.

Here's the thing, though.

A lot of young women in the clubs are dancing and singing along as if the sentiment expressed was on a par with ,say, we will, we will rock you.

Or f--- you, as the case may be.

A lot of young women whose internal radar is telling them that they need to endorse this presentation in order to be accepted by peers and potential partners.

And who, in time, will likely find themselves in dysfunctional relationships with guys who abuse them in one way or another.

Because the line between musical and literal abuse is, sadly, almost always invisible to the naked eye.

To the young ladies who will have to play catch up with their self respect in order to learn a hard lesson, I can only offer regret that there's no way to prove it to you on the front end.

And to the "artists" and writers and producers who profit from the syncopated slapping around and have a knack for invoking the "lighten up,it's only words, old man" defense, I can only offer this...

It's not about the language. It's about the lack.

If you don't get that...

Forget you.

No comments: