Saturday, March 19, 2011

"...If Pressed, Chances Are She'll Present The Twinkie Defense..."

Here's a thought.

When asked to offer examples of dichotomy, I'm fairly confident that the following isn't the first that jumps to mind.

Cupcakes.

But, thanks to one of my favorite objects of ridicule, I have pretty much moved the tasty treat to the top of that list.

Give a look/listen to this and then I'll clarify my confectionery conclusion.





Life, exhibiting its seemingly limitless sense of humor, is full of examples of things that are both pleasing to the eye and at the same time, by any reasonable definition, toxic.

One can esthetically appreciate the beauty of the cobra while having no doubts about the dangers it represents in its full hooded moments.

There is, arguably, no flower more lovely than the lily of the valley and, yet, its berries are, almost matter of factly, known to be poisonous.

And, then, there's the cupcake.

A visual delight, a creation that tantalizes any given combination of our senses yet, almost cruelly, distracts us from the unavoidable truth that, inevitably, over a period of time, its primary ingredients can fatten us, clog us and, very possibly, kill us.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not inclined to start petitioning to eradicate cobras, weed out the lilies or put Hostess out of business.

It just occurs to me that Mother Nature does love her some dichotomy.

And, thanks to the latest sounds coming from Ann Coulter's pie hole, something else has occurred to me.

I totally understand why attractive women are sometimes called cupcakes.

No comments: