Sunday, February 8, 2009

"Thank Ya'll..Now, For My Next Number...Some Perspective On World Affairs..."


My guess is that Tim McGraw is a pretty nice guy.

And his wife, Faith Hill, offers up a positive vibe, as well.

In fact, I remember meeting Faith when she was first getting started and I found her to be sincerely cordial and sweet in a non-sticky way.

So, for the record, my instincts are that Mr. and Mrs. McGraw are nice people you and I would enjoy having as friends as neighbors.

Having said that…

Well, come on, if you know me at all you knew there was going to be a “having said that…”

I haven’t changed my mind about the McGraws.

But this morning, I heard Tim, for about fifteen seconds, on a radio interview show and what he said reminded me of something I’ve wanted to say, for a long time, to a number of those who make their living entertaining us with song.

Shut up and sing.

In fairness to Tim, he was only answering the question that was asked of him.

Which is, I offer you, the core of the problem.

Not the answering.
The asking of the question in the first place.

But that’s another chorus and verse.

Back to this morning’s moment.

The question was one of those inane interrogatories that need to be permanently prohibited, by statute, if necessary, from the list of questions inevitably asked of celebrities.

And I didn’t really hear the whole question but I know, from the answer, what the first five words were, bet the farm.

“What do you think about…”

The general topic was world affairs and/or the state of the economy because Tim’s answer applicable to same.

“…I think in this difficult time, in the world where we live and with all the struggles that we’re experiencing in the country right now, that it’s important for us to take stock of what we have, show our thanks for the blessings that we………………”

It went on from there for a few more seconds.
Yada, yada, yada.

Tim McGraw is unquestionably entitled to his opinion.

And, God bless that zany Constitution, unquestionably entitled to express it.

But morning crankiness, not to mention basic human envy, notwithstanding, I think it fair to say that I’m not alone in being totally weary of hearing what wealthy celebrities have to say about the “struggles that we’re experiencing…” et al.

First of all, I don’t really shell out the twenty five bucks for the CD, the hundred bucks for the concert seat (or grass on the hill, as it were) and/or the fifty bucks for the T-shirt (only FIFTY percent cotton, mind you) in exchange for the geopolitical/sociological opinion of the celebrity whose name graces the CD, concert ticket and/or T shirt. (Actually, I don’t really shell out any of it at all, but you get my drift)

Second, I think the operative word in Tim’s answer is “we’re”.

As in “the struggles that we’re experiencing…”

Having a hard time finding good help at one of the three homes, there, Timster?

No matter what the “oh, you’re just a curmudgeonly misanthrope, dude,” segment of my audience here might think, I really do cheer for people like Tim and Faith, who have gone after, and achieved, the American dream.

You go, guys.

But until either or both of you has to “struggle” as you make the choice between buying groceries or paying the light bill while trying to find affordable day care for your three girls because neither one of you can afford to give up your second, or third, jobs, spare us any suggestion that we count our blessings.

Shut up and sing.

No comments: