Saturday, February 14, 2009

"Just Ahead...Van McCoy's classic tribute to DC..."The Hustle"!


Bitching about government is like making fun of Paris Hilton.

It’s far too easy and obvious an activity.

So, this will be short and sweet.

Check out this information from an online story about the stimulus package.

Government oversight: Board to oversee stimulus bill spending will get $84 million to do the job. House bill allocated $14 million while the Senate bill called for $7 million. There is also more than $100 million more for various inspectors general in different agencies.

Veterans: Nearly all items for Veterans Affairs were reduced and the $2 billion the Senate wanted for VA construction was wiped out altogether.

Take a couple of seconds and read those two one more time.

Like you, I understand I am a civilian and can’t have a full grasp of what it takes to govern and/or administrate on a day-to-day basis.

As much as we would like to think so, two and two doesn’t necessarily add up to four when you are dealing with complicated issues.

Nevertheless…

Even the professionals will tell you “politics is perception.”

And here’s the perception.

They couldn’t find the money to improve services or facilities for the people who sacrifice life and limb to protect our way of life.

But they’ll spend 84 MILLION dollars merely to keep an eye on how the rest of the money gets spent.

And 100 MILLION dollars for “various inspectors general”.

They, I gather, would be those appointed to keep the eye on how the rest of the money gets spent.

Wouldn’t you love to know how much each one is going to make?

Given what I know about people who work for Federal agencies, let me offer you this:

I’ll bet the rest of the money I’ll make in my life against your one-dollar that each and every one of them will be bringing home a six figure salary, minimum.

As I said, bitching about government is too easy and obvious.

But I, and I imagine you, can’t help but be a little curious.

Oh, not about how those who work in those jobs do those jobs.

More about how they sleep at night.

No comments: