Tuesday, June 3, 2008

"I Do Solemnly Smirk...."


At this point in the history of it all, I really don’t expect you to believe me.

But, I’ve known who these two guys really are for years now.

And the only reason that I haven’t mentioned it in this forum up until now is my “evidence to the contrary” belief that, in the end, they would show themselves to be worthy of the trust and hope we invested in them a few years back.

Well, the Supreme Court told us we had to invest that trust and hope, but I digress.
In the beginning, I only suspected that they were not all they appeared to be.

That they were, actually, less.

Turns out I was wrong.

They’ve turned out to be even less than that.

And if their public behavior and performances weren’t enough to convince me, let alone you, who they were behind the façade, then surely the trademark sounds they made day in, year out were a dead giveaway.

You know the sounds I’m talking about.

Those annoying little giggles that don’t quite translate on paper but actually do sound pretty much like they look.

Heh-heh.
And…hee hee.

And now you know who I’m talking about don’t you?

Because we’ve been watching them for years on TV and putting up with their supposedly clever comments and those annoying giggles that go with them.

And they were each equally guilty of inflicting those lines on us followed by the smug smirky chuckles….

"More and more of our imports come from overseas."

Heh-heh.

"You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test."

Hee-hee.

"There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again."

Heh-heh.

" "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?"

Hee-hee.

Oh..and let’s not forget the bonged out sidekick, while we’re at it..

"the people of Peru deserve better" (when referring to Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez)

Hee-hee.

And this, just yesterday.

"So, I had Cheneys on both sides of the family — and we don't even live in West Virginia,"

Heh-heh.

Wait a second. It just occurred to me that I might have confused you just a little.

I realize that you may be thinking that I’m talking about Beavis and Butthead.

My bad.

But a perfectly understandable confusion.

Since experiencing almost eight years of these two smug, self serving “servants of the American people” has blurred the line between cartoon and reality.

And come January, I have a feeling that most of us, regardless of our personal political preferences, will be delighted to find that we have a President and Vice President who will really work to make our lives better and safer without giving us the feeling that they’re doing us a favor by bothering to try.

And that if we find ourselves laughing, it will be with them as we experience joy and celebration as they go about getting the country moving forward in a positive direction.

Not laughing at them because of their stupid jokes.

Or their stupidity.

Or their smug, callous disregard for those Americans who weren’t born with silver spoons.

Given the legacy these two cartoon characters are leaving us, my guess would be that there’s a pretty good chance, this time around, that even Beavis and Butthead would take them in the popular vote.

Heh-heh.

No comments: