Saturday, May 24, 2008

In God We Trust...Unless, Of Course, We Need To Step In and Fix Things...


Sorry to hear about the latest John McCain divorce.

Missed that headline, you say?

Well, I’m here for you, kids.

CNN) -- Texas televangelist John Hagee said Friday that his political divorce from Sen. John McCain is "best for both of us" and urged reporters to return to "the pressing issues of the day."

McCain, the presumptive Republican nominee for president, renounced Hagee's endorsement Thursday after attention was drawn to remarks by the evangelist suggesting that the acts of Nazi leader Adolf Hitler during the Holocaust were part of God's will.

"God says in Jeremiah 16: 'Behold, I will bring them the Jewish people again unto their land that I gave to their fathers. ... Behold, I will send for many fishers, and after will I send for many hunters. And they the hunters shall hunt them.' That would be the Jews. ... Then God sent a hunter. A hunter is someone who comes with a gun and he forces you. Hitler was a hunter," Hagee said, according to a transcript of his sermon.

In a statement to CNN on Thursday, McCain said, "Obviously, I find these remarks and others deeply offensive and indefensible, and I repudiate them. I did not know of them before Rev. Hagee's endorsement, and I feel I must reject his endorsement as well.

McCain also rejected the endorsement of Ohio televangelist Rod Parsley on Thursday. Parsley angered Muslim groups by saying that Islam "is an anti-Christ religion that intends through violence to conquer the world."


Here’s the thing that I’m having a little trouble understanding.

Why is it that the politicians are finding it necessary to divorce themselves from the clearly incendiary observations of the pulpit dwellers when the two parties that SHOULD be separated seem to be getting closer and closer to each other with each passing political day?

You know the two I’m talking about.

Church.
And state.

No comments: