Sunday, May 1, 2011

" I Will Faithfully Execute...The Orifice of...."

Litmus test.

The oft blathered euphemism for a measure by which a political candidate is judged to be, or not to be, considered acceptable for a run at whatever office they seek.

Lack of official "political commentator" credentials notwithstanding (I don't know the secret handshake or have the decoder ring, either) I have, through the years, developed my own yardstick (or dipstick, more appropriately much of the time) to assist in making up my own mind about a given office seeker.

Their ability, or lack of, to graciously and gracefully self deprecate.

Not to be confused with self appreciate, self appropriate, self obfuscate, self promote, self serve or self center which seems to be free with purchase when it comes to the vast majority of Washington wannabes.

Watching the White House Correspondents Dinner last night (and yes, I watched it on MSNBC as opposed to Fox, but only because for whatever reason the picture on the flat screen was clearer on the former), I was left with some very clear impressions.

(POOH POOH-ER DISCLAIMER...For this piece, the writer concedes that all the following individuals possess both the desire and ability to take the key issues of the day seriously)

Seth Myers doesn't take himself too seriously.

Bill O'Reilly takes himself much too seriously.

Barack Obama doesn't take himself too seriously.

Donald Trump takes himself very seriously.

Which means, I think, that we shouldn't.

Not presuming to speak for you, my preference is to support a leader who adheres to the tradition of speaking softly and carrying a big stick.

Said stick, though, needs to be in hand and not up the butt.

Litmus test concluded.

No comments: