Sunday, April 5, 2009

"Don't Sweater The Small Stuff..."


Not to worry about North Korea launching missiles.

We’ve got a serious crisis on our hands.
As Yoda might say, “read, you this”


CNN) – Michelle Obama's fashion choices at the G20 summit have drawn widespread praise, but at least one famous designer thinks the fist lady made a major faux pas in her wardrobe choice for a private audience with Queen Elizabeth II.

"You don't…go to Buckingham Palace in a sweater," Oscar de la Renta told Woman's Wear Daily regarding Mrs. Obama's decision to wear a cardigan over an Isabel Toledo-designed dress for the private meeting.

De la Renta also said the first lady — who often sports relatively affordable American brands — should broaden her wardrobe and seize an opportunity to spur the flailing fashion industry.
“American fashion right now is struggling,” he said. “I think I understand what [Obama and her advisers] are doing, but I don’t think that is the right message at this particular point."

"I don’t object to the fact that Mrs. Obama is wearing J. Crew to whatever because the diversity of America is what makes this country great. But there are a lot of great designers out there. I think it’s wrong to go in one direction only," he added.


Being the kind of guy who likes to know what he’s shooting his mouth off about before he shoots his mouth off about it, I did a little Internet checking…


“fashion”
n.
1. The prevailing style or custom, as in dress or behavior: out of fashion.
2. Something, such as a garment, that is in the current mode: a swimsuit that is the latest fashion.
3. The style characteristic of the social elite: a man of fashion.


I think the key phrase there might be number 3, with a particular emphasis on the term “social elite”.

But back to that in a second.

As a heterosexual man, I am inclined to care less than not caring at all about what is, or is not, in “fashion” when it comes to fashions at any given time.

I think running shoes, blue jeans and tropical shirts should be considered suitable for all occasions.

And I don’t begrudge Monsieur de la Renta his opinion, especially since his chosen profession requires skills I could never hope to possess.

I have never figured out how they can see clearly to sketch and sew and hem while simultaneously looking down their noses at anyone who doesn’t subscribe to their concept of what should be sketched, sewn and hemmed.

Meanwhile, back to the “social elite”

My universal translator did a quick read on that one.

Upper class.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think anyone who isn’t a platinum card-carrying member of that particular stratum gives a shit one way or the other that Michelle wore J Crew to meet the Queen.

At the same time, I can understand why Mr. de la Renta and his homies (yes, I said homIES..get your mind out of the gutter) would get their designer label knickers in a twist over Michelle not wearing the latest foo foo shee shee creations.

After all, those items of apparel are the de la Renta posse’s bread and butter.

Or Waverly and Brie, as the case may be.

But here’s a thought.

Every thing I’m reading and hearing is telling me that Barack and Michelle are hitting home runs on this trip and are finding instant rapport with just about every leader of every nation they are stopping in to say hey.

So, with all due respect to the notion that being out of fashion is a faux pas, I would simply offer, on behalf of all the rest of us less than upper class types, that if the Obamas can undo the damage done by the past eight years of elitist isolationism inflicted by those whose fashions were the very latest from the most foo foo of the shee shees, than I would be happy to give Michelle thumbs up if she showed up at Buckingham Palace in a Spice Girls T Shirt.

Because, with apologies for the crassness expressed, it’s just like Grandpa used to say.
“You can fart into silk….

….it’s still a fart….”

No comments: