Sunday, October 23, 2011

"...Inside Every Diva...Is A Timid Little Girl....With A Diva Inside...."

Pavlov would understand my response.

Cause and effect is a pretty primal thing.

Even if the effect seems ill mannered.

Elucidation follows the fluff here.

(courtesy of, or blame placed, your call, on People Magazine).


Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon's babies are ready for their close-ups!

The star couple's 6-month-old twins, Moroccan and Monroe Cannon, made their TV debut on 20/20 Friday night during an interview their parents gave to Barbara Walters.

Along with the joy and pride of being a first-time mom, Carey, who told Walters she does not want to have more children, spoke about her difficult pregnancy.

"I don't think I understood the enormity or the magnitude of what it really does to your body," she explained. "It's not just, oh you don't look pretty and you have a bump."

But parenthood certainly seems to suit the couple. "My family gives me everything," Cannon gushed.

"It's just love," Carey said. "It's a beautiful place to be."

While dad expects Moroccan and Monroe "to get a PhD," Carey suggested that she wants them to follow in her footsteps. "They really respond to music," she said, before singing to the babies in their Manhattan nursery.

Lullabies may come easy for Carey – who brought them into the world to the tune of her song "Fantasy" – but opening herself up to marriage again was a different story.

"I never believe that anybody really likes me," she admitted after Cannon – who showed off his huge "Mariah" tattoo on his back – told her she's been his crush from day one. "I always think it's some kind of joke or something."

While Carey doesn't specifically address her music mogul ex-husband, Tommy Mottola, she does say that her failed marriage in 1998 made her hesitant to say "I do" a second time.

"Initially I was afraid of the concept of marriage [again]," she said. "But this is a different situation and a different time in my life."

Now, Carey insists, "No one will steal my spirit."



First, to be fair, an upfront admission.

There are things and/or people in the culture who, to my blood shot eye, represent nothing more than big ole balloons of pretentiousness.

And I was born, for good or ill, with a pin in my hand.

So be it.

And while I was "raised good by my mama and my daddy", aware of the preferred etiquette of "not saying anything at all in the case of lacking anything nice to say", the thing is that's not really how I roll.

Neither rationalization nor justification, it just is what it is.

And, for that, I acknowledge so neatly and accept responsibility completely.

Mariah Carey has, pretty much from day one, floated around, in my world, like one of the aforementioned balloons.

In the spirit of everyone is entitled to their opinion, I've always thought if she had a tattoo on her ass that said "Princess On Board", I would respectfully offer she had wasted prime inking space on a clear expression of the obvious.

"Diva" don't even begin to do it justice.

Every public utterance, saying and sashay reads like signals from somebody who makes Marie Antoinette look like Mother Theresa.

Again, fair being fair, I don't know the woman.

Never met her.

She might, in fact, be the warmest, most compassionate, most selfless person on God's good earth.

And I am still, at all times, keeping fresh bananas in the house in the event those monkeys come flying out of my butt.

Leave it to fate, fortune and/or divine intervention, though.

Today, Mariah threw me a curve.

Having weeded through, in and around the self aggrandizing "bringing her kids into the world to the sound of one of her own hits/no one will steal my spirit" blah blah, I caught the quick, sharp glimmer (no pun or plug intended) of a real, vulnerable human being in there.

"I never believe that anybody really likes me," she admitted..... "I always think it's some kind of joke or something."

Well, shit.

Overblown ego, self esteem issues.

There's an oldie but a goodie.

And, yes, endearing as all giddyup.

So, that damn fair thing around my neck like an anvil, here's the down low.

Mariah, I apologize for misjudging you and not seeing, sooner, the scared little girl wearing the diva disguise.

And I sincerely hope you'll forgive my harsh and, obviously in error, assessment of you.

As for your new kids, Morrocan and Monroe....

...you're on your own when it comes to their forgiveness for the names.

No comments: