Saturday, January 26, 2008

The O.J. Simpson Effect On Presidential Politics


First up, I am not, nor do I pretend or profess to be, a political “expert”. I’m pretty well read and can hold my own very nicely in any reasonably deep conversation about the political system, structure and culture in this country.
But, to put it simply, I ain’t no George Will.
Having said that, I wanted to share something I think, at best, insightful and, at worst, at least timely and topical.
And as I write it, I find myself working, for the first time in one of my blogs, under a bit of a deadline, aware of the ticking of the clock.
Because, as I write, the voting is underway in the South Carolina Democratic primary. And, at this writing, I do not know what the outcome of that primary will be. (If my word won’t suffice, then just take a look at the time I posted this).
I don’t have any idea who is going to come out number one.
And, actually, at this point in the election year, I’m not sure I care.
But, I do have an opinion about what this particular primary means and despite the fact that, as disclaimed above, I am not a political expert…what the hell…it’s my blog, right?
Much has been made in the news this part week about how the results of this primary will show which of the two front-runners, Clinton and Obama, has the better support from blacks. The primary reason (no pun intended) being that South Carolina has a large black population and estimates are that over half of the votes cast today will be cast by blacks.
So, the obvious conclusion to be drawn is that the candidate who gets the most black votes is the candidate who has the most support among blacks.
Duhh.
I think, though, there is an issue lurking just beneath the surface that will say not only a lot about the support of one candidate or another, but also about the general tone and attitude of the state of race relations in America at this period in our history.
Call it “The OJ Standard”. (if only because everything seems to need a snappy name these days…and if I had more time, I’d come up with a snappy logo to go with it.)
Simply put…(and remember this is strictly a personal opinion)…if Obama wins South Carolina as a result of winning a majority of the black vote, it is going to be a mixed blessing.
Because he will have proven that he not only has the support of Southern Democrats and has come out “on top” regarding the question of whether he or Hillary have the most support among blacks.
But the other edge of the sword will be that Obama’s opponents could easily (if necessarily subtly) make the case that he is, in fact, no longer just a candidate for president.
He is the “black candidate” for president.
And where does OJ fit into all of this?
Is there a reasonable person alive on the planet that doesn’t think that O.J, is guilty of killing Nicole and Ron?
Is there a reasonable person alive on the planet that doesn’t believe that the only reason that OJ was acquitted of the crime was the pre-dominantly black make up of the jury?
Is there a reasonable person alive on the planet that doesn’t accept, when presented with all of the facts, that O.J. Simpson was simply the beneficiary of a lot of understandable frustration on the part of blacks for the dozens, hell, hundreds of years of crap they’ve had to put up with in this country?
And that whether it was right or just or fair or not, the blacks on that jury voted their emotions and not their best judgment based on the overwhelming evidence?
As far as Obama is concerned, what happens is a Catch-22 that could only happen to the first African American candidate for president.
If Hillary wins the black vote, her agenda, policies, platform and campaign promises obviously have the support of the blacks in South Carolina.
If Barack wins the black vote, his agenda, policies, platform and campaign promises obviously have the support of the blacks in South Carolina…or…
Maybe he has their support because he is black and is the simply the beneficiary of a lot of understandable frustration on the part of blacks for the dozens, hell, hundreds of years of crap they’ve had to put up with in this country?
At this writing, we are still several hours away from determining which of the two has the strongest black support.
But, I think we’re still months, maybe even years away from determining exactly what form that support really means.
By the way, if you’re tempted to be concerned, offended, etc by my idea here because you think it racist, I would offer you that the same argument could, and can, be made about the woman’s vote when it comes to Hillary.
So shut up already about racism.
Leave that to Al Sharpton.

No comments: